Summary: Dong Bang Shin Ki, better known as DBSK, THSK, TVXQ, or something of the like, debuted on December 23, 2003 under SM Entertainment. They originally debuted as a five member band consisting of YoungWoon (Hero) JaeJoong, U-Know YunHo, Micky YooChun, Xiah Junsu, and ChoiKang (Max) ChangMin. As a five member band, they’ve released five Korean albums, four Japanese albums, five Korean singles, and thirty Japanese singles. In mid-2009, JaeJoong, YooChun, and Junsu decided to hell with SM Entertainment and split off from the other two members, and are now in C-JeS Entertainment. You can find DBSK’s 2004-2010 discography here. You can find DBSK 2010-Present’s discography here. You can find JYJ’s discography here.
DBSK was our first band. We were instantly attracted to JaeJoong, as he was what we so nicely dubbed a “real live bishounen.” Before Korean music came into our lives, we were into anime. We were especially into the pretty boys, aka bishounen. JaeJoong was everything real about those pretty boys drawn on paper. Ergo, we were attracted (I guess it helped their music was catchy, too). When it came to the song Tri-Angle, however, YooChun can still make us happy little fan girls, even though we don’t actively fan girl over DBSK anymore. As JaeJoong dyed his hair blonde for O or Mirotic (we can’t remember anymore) Velexa began to notice YunHo, as she felt JaeJoong’s blonde was fugly (put nicely). Since we discovered them in 2006, we’ve grown to like all the members (even though Redeim still holds an unfair grudge against ChangMin for “stealing” her birthday). Two member DBSK and JYJ will get their own discography. They make a good starter band for people just getting into Korean music.
YoungWoon (Hero) JaeJoong
Birth Name: Han JeJoon, name legally changed to Kim JaeJoong after adoption
Birth Date: January 26, 1986
Birth Place: GongJu, South Korea
Family: Eight adopted older sisters, adopted parents, biological parents. younger half brother, younger half sister
- When he was fifteen, he moved to Seoul alone to train for SM Entertainment.
- Was considered the “mother” of DBSK.
- He has a total of eleven piercings, last I heard, fans have only been able to find ten. You know what that means. *wink*
- He’s been in trouble for drunk driving
- Had a leg accident during Rising Sun times
- His adoption was brought to the public after a custody battle in 2006.
- Since debut, he’s become a talented singer, actor, songwriter, and director.
- Even though he hates being called “pretty” or “feminine,” he is easily considered one of the most, if not the most, effeminate member of DBSK.
- Began serving his military service in 2015
Birth Name: Jung YunHo
Birth Date: February 6, 1986
Birth Place: Kwangju, South Korea
Family: One younger sister, parents
- He joined SM Entertainment at the age of thirteen after winning a dance competition.
- He’s appeared in music videos before the debut of DBSK, and became the leader of DBSK when they debuted.
- He’s done some acting, but doesn’t seem to do much otherwise besides singing/rapping.
- He had an incident in 2006 in which there was an anti-fan that laced a drink with super glue. She was apprehended later, but YunHo asked the police not press charges because his sister was about the same age and he felt bad for the anti-fan.
- His parents apparently have a cute love story.
- YunHo likes sports and reading.
- He’s a good leader, and very serious about work.
Birth Name: Park YooChun
Birth Date: June 4, 1986
Birth Place: Raised in Seoul until he was in sixth grade, when his parents moved to Fairfax, Virginia.
Family: Younger brother, parents (divorced)
- He was scouted by Brothers Entertainment and when he returned to South Korea, he joined SM Entertainment.
- He has a younger brother, YooHwan “Ricky” Park, and revealed in a show his parents are divorced.
- YooChun has done acting, songwriting, and is really sexy when playing a piano.
- Because of his parent’s divorce, he’s afraid of marriage.
Birth Name: Kim Junsu
Birth Date: December 15, 1986
Birth Place: Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
Family: Older fraternal twin brother, Juno, parents
- He participated in the 6th Annual Starlight Casting System in 2002, where he was then brought to SM Entertainment and take part in DBSK.
- He’s best friends with EunHyuk from Super Junior, and they both love soccer.
- Junsu, along with YunHo and YooChun, are left handed (Redeim finds this interesting as she is also a lefty).
- Junsu spent the most time in training of the DBSK members because of difficulties with puberty.
Birth Name: Shim ChangMin
Birth Date: February 18, 1988
Birth Place: Seoul
Family: Two younger sisters, parents.
- He joined SM Entertainment during its 6th Annual Youth Competition.
- He’s also ventured into acting.